MY NEW LOVE OF COCONUT MILK KEFIRI want to share a very easy recipe. I can't believe I haven't been doing this for years... Homemade Kefir made with coconut milk. It is so incredibly easy and delicious. You can use it to make overnight oats or stir in some chia seeds for a creamy coconut chia pudding. Delish!
Here's what you need...
- 1 Kefir starter kit. I recommend the Body Ecology Kefir Starter Kit (purchase on www.bodyecology.com or www.amazon.com) Don't be discouraged by the price. It costs around $36. In the box you get 6 packets and each packet makes 7 batches of Kefir. So awesome! Or you can purchase one at your local health food store.
- 2 cans of full fat coconut milk
- 1 32 oz mason jar
- cheese cloth and rubber band
- wooden spoon
Here's how to do it...
- Warm the coconut milk in a saucepan to just warmer than room temperature. I use a meat thermometer to watch for 92 degrees. It just takes a couple of minutes. If you accidentally warm it too much, just pour it in the jar and wait for it to cool to 92 degrees.
- Once the coconut milk is the correct temp, pour it in the jar and add the packet of kefir grains.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon (it's very important to use a wooden spoon as opposed to a metal spoon as the bacteria in the kefir grains don't like metal and it will spoil the batch)
- Cover the jar with cheesecloth and use a rubber band to secure it.
- Place on the counter undisturbed for 18-24 hours
- Once it's done, put the lid on the jar and put it in the fridge.
- Voilà! You have coconut milk kefir!
Here is my favorite recipe. It's Paleo and Vegan and will keep you full until lunch time because of the beautiful healthy fat in the kefir, chia seeds, and almonds. Woot!
Overnight Kefir Chia Breakfast Pudding
2/3 Cup coconut milk kefir
2 T. chia seeds
1 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/3 C blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/3 C sliced strawberries
1/8 C almonds
Place all ingredients except almonds in a bowl. Stir and cover with lid or plastic wrap. Let sit overnight in fridge. In the morning add the almonds and stir. Enjoy!