For more information about Pure and Simple Wellness, visit www.pureandsimplewellness.com.
CARROT, TOMATO & COCONUT SOUP
Prep 20 mins. Cooking 20 mins. Servings 4-6
Notes: If you don’t have an immersion blender, just put the soup in your regular blender in batches. It takes a little bit more effort, but will still yield great results.
· 1 T Cold pressed coconut or olive oil
· 1 onion, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, pressed or chopped
· 1 t ground turmeric
· 10 medium sized carrots, sliced
· 5 fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
· Water, enough to cover
· Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
· 1 can full fat coconut milk
1. Heat oil in a pot. Add onions, garlic, and turmeric, and saute until soft and fragrant.
2. Add carrots and tomatoes, and cook for a minute or so while stirring.
3. Add water, sea salt and pepper, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until carrots are tender.
4. When soup is ready, use and immersion blender to puree until smooth.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and adjust the flavors with more salt and pepper if needed.
Sugar Free BBQ Sauce
Makes about 1 cup of sauce
1 C Tomato Sauce (make sure to pick a brand that doesn’t have added sugar)
1/3 C unsweetened apple sauce
2 T cider vinegar
2 T coconut aminos
1 T dijon mustard
1 tsp hot pepper sauce
¼ t. black pepper
½ T clarified butter (ghee) or coconut oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. chili powder
½ t. paprika
Pinch of cloves
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the tomato sauce, apple sauce, vinegar, coconut aminos, mustard, hot-pepper sauce, and black pepper until combined.
2. Heat the clarified butter or coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the garlic, chili powder, paprika, and cloves, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Whisk in the sauce and bring to a boil. Simmer gently uncovered, 25-30 minutes, until the sauce is thickened and flavorful.
4. Cool to room temperature before using and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Can also be frozen and thawed in fridge.